Automated smartphone-based cough audio classification for rapid tuberculosis triage testing (Cough Audio triaGE for TB) CAGE-TB. CAGE-TB aims to improve TB screening by using a smartphone app that can detect a TB cough. CAGE-TB TB cough audio will not replace normal TB testing but will be a way to filter patients most likely to have TB so that they can access specialized TB testing and care.
TB key facts?
- A total of 1.5 million people died from TB in 2020 (including 214 000 people with HIV). Worldwide, TB is the 13th leading cause of death and the second leading infectious killer after COVID-19 (above HIV/AIDS).
- In 2020, an estimated 10 million people fell ill with tuberculosis (TB) worldwide. 5.6 million men, 3.3 million women and 1.1 million children. TB is present in all countries and age groups. But TB is curable and preventable.
- In 2020, the 30 high TB burden countries accounted for 86% of new TB cases. Eight countries account for two thirds of new TB cases, with India leading the count, followed by China, Indonesia, the Philippines, Pakistan, Nigeria, Bangladesh and South Africa.
- An estimated 66 million lives were saved through TB diagnosis and treatment between 2000 and 2020.
- Ending the TB epidemic by 2030 is among the health targets of the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
- +27 21 938 9955
- Head Office
- Makerere University, Uganda